17 December 2008

Seeing Sky-Blue Pink

Seeing Sky-blue Pink (Exceptional Reading & Language Arts Titles for Intermediate Grades) Seeing Sky-blue Pink by Candice F. Ransom


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is a beautiful story. Lots of great images and lyrical writing. Candice is my friend, so perhaps I'm biased, but I don't think so. I think this book is worthy of attention. It's more character-driven and episodic than a lot of books I read, though it has a uniting conflict element. Some young children might have trouble understanding a book that isn't as plot-driven, but they will surely love the language and the little adventures Maggie goes on. A nice hark back to the family stories by great authors like E. Nesbit, Elizabeth Enright, Edward Eager, whom I learned to appreciate in the families class at Hollins. (Candice was in that class, and though this book just came out, it appears it was in the works already at that time, and she didn't say anything! She's definitely a humble woman, and funny as heck! If you have a chance to meet her, I would recommend it.)


View all my reviews.

No comments: