10 April 2011

Here we go, Up and Down and Around and Around

Sorry I haven't posted for awhile. I actually wrote one but then found too soon after that what I was thinking was happening wasn't permanent. Long story. Anyway, so what has happened in the last five-six weeks? Some good, some bad.

First the good news: I was hired to teach a freshman composition class at NOVA, the nearest community college. And it's six credits, so kind of like two classes, but with only one group of students. Okay, technically it is two classes, but they're back to back and it's still the same students. But it's a three hour block twice a week. Fortunately, my other job, the temp job at NAHB, was willing to work with my schedule, so now I'm there on M,T,Th, and at NOVA on W,F. Pretty nice, huh? Classes started two weeks ago, so we've met four times now. And I have a pretty good group of students. Some better than others, and some better in different ways than others.

Now, there is bad news associated with that. Should I talk about that now or give you other good news first? Mm, let's stick to one subject at a time.

So maybe some more background. The students are mostly ESOL, immigrants from other countries, and English is not their first language.

(Guess I never finished this, might as well publish though it's a few months old. I guess the old date doesn't show up after I publish, but it was written in September.)

No comments: