21 September 2008

Old book storage project

This post probably should have been written quite awhile ago, but I haven't been taking too many photos lately so these were sitting in my camera until today. But alas, here they are--from that project I mentioned awhile ago about my book storage improvement--I painted these crates that I received from a former co-worker back in 2004 when she downsized from a house to a condo, and I was living by myself and grateful for furniture. But they were just old crates, with some jagged splinters. So, having some free time when I came back from Roanoke before starting my first temp assignment, I sanded them down and painted them with some paint I bought back in 2002 when I was going to paint a room I changed my mind about moving into.
The weather was beautiful at that time, late July. I mean, as long as I didn't have to wear a suit that is :)--actually, it was nicer these days than that day, but i also wore shorts and a T-shirt.

And good thing the weather was good because I ended up needing to spend more time than expected outside the following day or two since I made a big mess on the patio. I probably should have looked harder for some plastic or newspaper or something I could lay down, but I was on half-brain mode or something. Instead, I ended up running to Home Depot where they laughed at my predicament and suggested some concrete cleaner, which I happily bought, along with some gloves and sponges. But when I got home and read the instructions, I realized this was stuff you needed a big machine for, like street cleaners. Uh-uh. Not buying or renting one of those. It said you could also try using a mop, so I ran across the street thinking I could buy one of those at the grocery store rather than running down to Home Depot again, but then surprised myself to realize we have a Lowe's right there. So I went in there, looking for a mop or something, and found this other, cheaper and easier paint cleaner thing, took it home and got to work. Most of the paint came off that afternoon. There are still a few peachish speckles, I think, but not too bad.

Now to add to the story, my book collection has also dwindled since this project, though I don't regret it by any means. But I happily remembered during the right season (August-September, text-book buying season) to list some old books on Amazon to sell. Net loss, of course, but at least I got some money back for books I haven't needed and don't care to keep. I love Amazon

No comments: