01 January 2009

Happy Birthday Nancy!

Yes, my baby sister Nancy was the New Year's baby in Loveland back in 1986. We got showered with all kinds of toys and things from local businesses. It was nice for my parents and baby Nancy, I'm sure, and a little fun for the rest of us.

But even aside from the media attention and little toys, we all loved having Nancy from day 1. She's got a lot of spunk, a little stubborn, but a very fun, happy spirit, and seems to love everyone.

She's very artistic, too--wrote a great poem about her baby awhile ago, and she made me a lovely necklace for Christmas. She also made me a matching pair of earrings, but one of my holes has closed up so I'm sadly not able to wear them.

What are my favorite memories of Nancy? Well, I actually shared a room with her twice. Once when she was a newborn. We had been taking turns having our own rooms at that point, but just when it landed on my turn, as I turned 12, Nancy was born and there weren't enough rooms for that any more, so I shared with her. I didn't generally mind, though. I took advantage and practiced my photography skills and other things. Good thing she's photogenic.
The second time was when I was at home waiting for my mission call in 1995. That year again! This was the other end of the year--the beginning. She was an imaginative 9-year-old, and very patient when I had my wisdom teeth out and had to spend lots of time in the room.

Most recently, because I was in Canada for Christmas in 2006, she was in California last Christmas, and I was out here this Christmas, the last time I saw her was at her wedding in the summer of 2006. But we've talked on the phone a few times since then and it's fun to have those conversations, as well as to communication through the myfamily.com site we have.

Now she has a baby of her own, if you can believe that. In the pictures up top, can you tell which one is my sister and which one is my niece? Okay I know one of them is obviously digital, but don't they look alike?

No comments: