25 February 2009

Leven Thumps, book review

Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo (Leven Thumps - Book 1) Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo by Obert Skye


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
I couldn't finish it. It was really quite painful to get as far as I did. Is there a criticism for weight judgments? I mean, like feminist criticism and cultural criticisms--fields of study. In any case, almost all of the villains or even slightly bad guys were noted as being fat or large or worse, and all of the good guys were thin or had no mention of their weight proportions. One of the good guys was even a toothpick. Seriously, a literal toothpick. Perhaps it was all subconscious and not intended to offend people with weight struggles, but it was really too much. I also don't really appreciate repetitive physical punishments even to bad guys, particularly the kind where the audience is supposed to find the punishments funny. It just doesn't strike me as very charitable. Yes, some people need to have justice dealt to them, but it isn't funny.


View all my reviews.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yay! Someone who agrees with me! Or maybe I agree with you....I did finishe it and the very end wasn't bad, but it started with such Raold Dahl promise and just sank.
(Sorry, I'm behind on reading! and I'm going to post the cookie recipe when I finish catching up.)

TheHQforHQ said...

No worries. I get behind in my reading a lot. Glad you and I agree on this one! your assessment sounds right, too--the Roald Dahl promise. TSk tsk.