27 June 2010

Questions Answered, some anyway

So, last I wrote I had a handful of questions and complaints. And, well, as time passes, I'm taming the complaints, and getting some answers. I still have a number of questions, though, but I'm trying to patient about those until I see my doc for the follow-up next week.

But, I will sure some good news/answers that I have received. My biggest complaint, you will recall, had to do with ibuprofen. And, admittedly, I am still lamenting its loss from my diet. However, I have found that acetaminophen actually helps more than I'd expected. I'm glad for something to help with pain in any case, even if something to reduce inflammation would be better. To that end, though, I have also found help and am grateful for the internet and friends for the answers to these prayers. I found a web page with an article that listed a number of pretty common things that help with inflammation, namely ginger, turmeric, and rosemary; fish oil, Vit. C and Vit. E, and a few less common things as well. But these I'd heard of and figured it wouldn't be too heard to implement them into my diet, especially since my primary doctor wants me eating more fish anyway.

So, initially I planned just incorporate them naturally into my diet and just bought some of the herbs and actual fish to eat. But as the week has worn on and I come to recognize the difficult of incorporating these things into the quick diet of a breakfast on the run and lunch munched on at my desk through the afternoon, I've realized that only having these things for dinner and not even always at that, is probably not going to cut it. I hadn't made any definite resolutions with this realization, but with it in mind, when my friend B... told me about a time when she'd had an inflamed thyroid and was encouraged to take 6 fish oil capsule-things a day, I realize I should probably by some of those fat pills rather than relying on just eating fish for dinner.

The immediate results of these changes, of course, have yet to make themselves as apparent as I would like, but I have confidence they will prove for positive changes in my diet. And I'm already loving the taste of turmeric mixed with thyme. I'd heard of turmeric before, and had of course tasted it in foods before without knowing it, but I'm glad now to discover it more completely. I found, but didn't buy, a supplement that is entirely turmeric and am now wondering if that might be better than fish oil--it will probably taste better in any case, just not sure if it's as effective.

I also have to give Kudos to my mom for realizing that I was not getting sufficient vitamins and minerals in my diet, which I was kind of realizing before though not able to put all the pieces together. And well, she recommended first a Multi-Vit supplement, which I'd recently read was completely ineffective, but then she suggested Ensure and so I've started drinking that pretty regularly and found a good increase in my energy level. Way to go, Mom!

And so, now I should apologize to any of you who thought you were following a great blog about books, because it hasn't really gone in that direction, has it? Obviously, my dietary dilemmas are top on my mind at the time, and reading about these things has been my most interesting study. However, never fret, because I still love fiction, and have continued to read a healthy dose of it. In fact, if you're looking for something good, I've just finished the trilogy of the Mysterious Benedict Society and would very highly recommend it. I actually listened to the whole thing rather than reading it, and really love Del Roy's voice for it. It kind of reminds me of Pres. Monson. He has his own unique voice--you would never mistake them--but the rhythm and pacing of his inflections are very similar, as well as his having a very kind old man's voice.

1 comment:

Lanie said...

Glad things are looking up for you.... It is tough to change a diet and make it habit.

on the book note, my dad convinced kenton and I to read some books by Terri Fivash- Dahveed, Joseph, Ruth and Boaz... you might really enjoy them. She is a really amazing writer and although they are bible stories we all know it is amazing what she does with them.

Good Luck with everything and see you this fall again hopefully