15 February 2005

a Blessing

On Saturday I discovered that my life had been saved. I caught a cold a little over a week previously and had gone to the store that Saturday looking for something to help it and was about ready to pick up a decongestant like Suphedrine or something that I would have taken normally and I saw this new thing called "Cold Eze" that supposedly shortened the length of colds. I think the reason was that it contained zinc and their marketing was just that they made it taste a little better and more like a cough drop than normall zinc tablets. Nonetheless, I tried it and it didn't exactly shorten my cold since I'm still occasionally sniffling. But I didn't take any decongestants because of it, as it was also supposed to help with symptoms. But as Saturday rolled around again and I wasn't over my cold, I thought maybe I should take something again, but since I had to go to work at the temple, I looked to see if I had anything on hand. And I actually did have a trial sample of an orangey Alka-Seltzer; but I knew I'd had it for awhile so I was looking all over for a date of expiration or something and ended up reading the warning--which is a good habit, but not one that I'm in with medications I have taken before. And it turned out that the warning was not to take it if you were taking a certain kind of prescription medication, and I wasn't sure if I was, but I knew I was taking something in that family of drugs, so I called the pharmacist and he said for what I was taking not to take any decongestants. A little story from my roommate from someone else she'd known indicated there was a possibility that if I had taken a decongestant while on this medication, the consequences could have been pretty severe. I guess that's just a witness that angels are really watching over me.

No comments: