28 February 2008

Dreaming

So on our myfamily website some of my cousin-in-laws have been discussing dream interpretations. And since I had a dream around the time of the first post, I mentioned it, and as teh discussion went on, it occurred to me I might write something about it here.

This was my post: "I remember my dreams often too, but I'm not sure if I've reached 8. (My cousin-in-law remembered eight of her dreams from the night of her posting.) Last night I remember a melding of three--I was at a dinner, like a big dinner bufftet, and at first there was enough food, but then there wasn't, only a bunch of whipped cream fruit salad, and then there was a big high school reunion in Calgary--though I'm not sure why I was there, and they were playing a football game in commemoration, but it wasn't just one high school--they were competing against cross-town rivals, first the old guys who graduated in the 80s came out and then the guys who were excited because they were now old enough to vote, and that was downstairs, and then I remembered I'd left my flute out, so I ran upstairs through the crowds and through a bunch of instruments that other people had left out, and I found mine mixed with three other flutes and they were all taken apart and I had to figure out which pieces were mine. Weird."

Then another cousin-in-law mentioned dreams are often just expressions of the days anxieties. So what was I anxious about that my flute would come into my dream? I actually played it at Christmas, but that was the first in a very long time. And well, it's been a few months since Christmas. All I can figure is that it worked its way in because I had dusted the case recently. I usually keep it in a bin under my bed, but haven't put it away from a bookshelf where I laid it after the Christmas concert. It actually had quite a bit of dust on it. I guess that might explain another, unmentioned detail--why all the pieces of flute I was trying to put together were rather horrid looking. Interestingly, because of some of the pieces I was sorting through were really ugly, it was easily for me to discard some. I suppose it's a mark of my pride or something, but I've always been proud of the way my flute looks. I've seen people with lots of brown or orange spots on theirs, and I don't understand why that is. Mine has a little dent in it, but otherwise, it's still in pretty good shape, and nicely silver, even after about twenty years. Or maybe that's not such a good sign, hm.

As for football, I'm not sure about that either. I don't really like football. But my brother did play in high school, so it's not like I haven't been surrounded by it. I've also recently been in touch with one of my own high school friends and the subject of reunions has come up. And as for anxiety, maybe I'm feeling guilty as more time passes by and I haven't written her back. Hm.

But the other interesting thing about the football players was the variance in their ages. When I was in high school, I'm sure those young men who had just become eligible to vote would have been quite attractive to me. And yet, now, I see them as little boys. Even recently returned missionaries look like little boys to me. I don't think that's bad, rather quite healthy. I am 34, after all, a good 13 years older than the youngest of those RMs.

I do find that interesting though. I mean, yes, I know I've grown and mature (I hope) and everything, but I still feel like me, and yet I'm not attracted to the same type of people I was. I actually much prefer older men, closer to my age. So why did the older men come out first and the younger last? Maybe a reminder that I need to grow up some and prepare myself for the others--like brush up rather than brush off my dusty flute for example.

No comments: