25 February 2008

LDS books

So, Saturday I went to the temple, and well, it's always been a little hard to avoid the bookstore up there, but particularly since I've been getting into this critical section because I feel like I really don't have much background in LDS fiction, and I'm going to have to address that subject.

Believe it or not, I have successfully avoided going to the bookstore when I go to the temple. Sometimes I purposely go late so I know it will be closed, or close enough to other commitments that I won't possibly have time. But this Saturday, my commitments were in the early part of the day, and if I waited too long, I might get mixed in with the Oakton Stake SA temple night, and I was also not sure I wanted to do that. Finally, I just threw a skirt on and went--well, I actually curled a few hairs and put on some make-up too, which I hadn't felt inclined to do for the bridal shower in the morning, but thought it might be best for the temple--whether or not I ran into the Oakton singles.

And I went to the bookstore first even, but I did not actually buy any books! There have been a few titles I've been considering, and they were there, but I confirmed I can get them cheaper through Amazon, used, even with shipping. But this Amazon thing, that would probably, hopefully also explain this thing I noticed, that the YA section at the This is the Place is rapidly diminishing! Well, to be honest, this bookstore has never been really good about separating the YA from the Adult, but that's not really such a big deal, but in any case, the merged group used to take up a full row at least, and it seemed to be fitting snugly on a quarter section, maybe half!

Of course, I'm probably as much to blame as anyone, but I liked to see it there! It gave me publishers names, and titles to consider. Seriously they need an LDS library around here! I would definitely borrow a good number of the titles, even if I can't bring myself to buy them.

But then today, as I've gotten to studying a little more about the history of LDS fiction, I was happy to remember that Wikipedia has a whole page on the subject, and I even learned quite a bit about some historical titles that I'd never heard of. Did you know, for example, that an LDS woman won the Newbery Award in 1957? Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorensen. So, now I'm thinking maybe those are what I should buy rather than the more contemporary ones that haven't yet established their significance. Right? Right? I really need to know if Miracles on Maple Hill is really an LDS fiction as Wikipedia implies, or if it's just by an LDS author, as the plot descriptions Amazon provides seem to indicate. So I need to buy it, right?

We really need an LDS library out here.

No comments: