06 June 2008

Psycho Dreams

I've fallen into the habit of going to sleep a little too early, like 8:00 or 9:00--like while I'm reading or something and then waking up at strange hours, like 3:00 or 4:00. Last night, or this morning, I guess, I woke up at 4:00, thinking I'd heard my roommate get into the shower so that I must have slept through the night. No, it was 4:00. I'm not sure what the noise was.

I stayed awake for about an hour, put my pajamas on and messed around online, ate some carrots because I was hungry--and that's another story--I seem to be allergic to raw vegetables in the spring. I got all the regular nose itchy sneezy feelings from the carrots, and this cold I've had seems to have started when I ate a green pepper!--Every year my allergies turn to a cold, it's just how it is. The nose can't take all the stimuli.

Anyway, so then around 5:00, I went back to bed, though until I was actually out of bed, my mind wasn't registering that I had gone back to sleep. Do you ever have dreams like that? I was in my bed, and I kept hearing noises, like someone slamming the front door, running up the stairs and either putting or taking something from the crates at the foot of my bed (actually behind my head, I sleep backwards to keep my head away from the draft of the window). I kept trying to turn around to see them and what they were doing, but then they'd disappear. My voice was like one of those warbled, vaccuumed noises like slow-mo in movies or something. It just wouldn't come out to tell them to stop or ask who they were.

But it gets worse. So then I decide to get out of bed and see if I can chase them or something, or maybe I decide to get up and take a shower. So I get to the bathroom, but something has happened to the towel hooks. They seem to be missing, ripped off or something, so I call to my roommate and she's oblivious, but doesn't seem to care, so I go on my way and soon realize this isn't even my bathroom, so I decide I must be asleep still so I decide to go back to bed, but as I leave the bathroom, I only enter into a series of other bathrooms of varying degrees of luxury. Some saunas, some whirlpools, some with ogres in them. Yea, pretty weird.

Somehow I eventually make it back to my bed, but there are these children who keep coming through the walls or the window or something from the outside, and I'm trying to figure out how they're doing it and if I'm awake or not, so I start playing with them and well, I'm ashamed to say, bouncing them against the floor to see if they're real--but don't worry, they're like 10 year olds, so it wasn't painful or anything. And I'm calling to my roommate, telling her I'm going crazy-but my voice is still fuzzed and she's doing her own thing, maybe getting into the shower.

So, in my bed now or still, thinking I've finally determined that I'm really awake but that I need to go to sleep, I decide to look at my alarm clock to see what time it is, to see if I can sleep a little longer or if I should get up and take a shower. The alarm clock is supposed to be behind my head on the crate, where that strange person who'd been running in and out of the house had been messing around, and I discover it's missing. That must have been what the person took! What am I going to do? So I go back to sleep anyway, figuring even if I don't have an alarm clock, I'll hear my roommate get in the shower and know I should get up.

Then, eventually my alarm does go off, and I hit it off. Ah, it's there! I should get up now while reality has me, but something is keeping me in my bed, or is it taking me to the concert where the music is playing? Oh, that's it. A lot of my friends are at this concert, as well as the kids who have been coming through the walls, and they're still crawling all over me, but I know I don't have much time left since my alarm has gone off, so I need to go take my shower, and I leave the concert and go to the bathroom, but pass through the saunas and everything again, only this time, I only have a towel around me, and there are men around--so I make sure to cover my behind as I fly through this place with the towel.

And then my alarm goes off again, and I this time manage to pull myself out of bed and realize my roommate has gone. The shower is empty, but uh-oh, it's time for me to leave so I can go to work. Dang!

No comments: