29 June 2008

Saturday is a Special Day

I never thought I'd enjoy doing laundry as much as I did yesterday, or cleaning my room, but they were both quite welcome reprieves from the rest of the week.

I'd been noticing for the past few days the building wreckage around my room, but was particularly bothered by it yesterday, seeing five empty water bottles scattered around, countless books, both to read and notebooks, my bag askew with school folders, and three pairs of shoes, along with papers from my thesis with comments from my advisor scattered in three different, disheveled piles, and then a pile of potential decorations for the Francelia Butler conference. Though not so in the middle of things, I also had a full moving box of dirty colored clothes (my temporary hamper) and a bulging bag of whites. These bedrooms aren't big. I had to navigate my way to the door to go down to eat breakfast. My mother would be ashamed.

As I look around now, it's not a whole lot better, but I really did straighten up. I refilled all of the water bottles and they're now neatly in the box for the reading lamp I bought, right beside my little desk. Nice organization. I straightened the stacks of thesis papers, though they're still in three locations. At least they look nicer. Nice organization. And the books, well, I finally returned some to the library--maybe that was Friday actually, and then some others back to the shelves downstairs. The rest, including the decoration stuff, shoved perfectly under the bed. And I threw the shoes in the closet--although somehow two of them seem to have walked out again and are scattered around the room again. Hmm. They're with their pairs anyway.

And laundry--so fun to have an excuse to have an excuse to break up the day with trips outside, then to fold the pretty colors and hang them in the closet or stuff into drawers. You know I love colors. Nice organization.

But the best part was baking some zucchini bread--or cake--didn't have a bread pan so I used a flimsy cheap-o cake pan, which was good actually since I had two zucchinis and doubled the recipe. And that was in preparation for a fun picnic with MaryLiz and Dorina and her family. We went up to a little park I didn't know about, on a little hill (I suppose they might call it a mountain here--and it did remind me of home a bit with the evergreens and everything)--with a reservoir. A really cute place, nice and cool, too. Most of the time we were there, it was quiet too--away from the rest of the world. We walked around the reservoir a little--not all the way around, it was pretty big, but around a bend. So peaceful. I wish I'd taken my camera, but I seem to forget it at important times lately.

Like the song goes, Saturday is a special day--not just because it helps get ready for Sunday, though that too, but because it's another day away from the rest of the week.

No comments: