18 July 2008

Good and weary

Tomorrow is the Francelia Butler Conference for which we have been planning for just about a year now. I've been the co-chair for the Food/Decorations committee with my friend Dorina, and what a blessing it's been to work with her! I have to say.

Because of her cooking talents, we easily divided the duties so she was over food and I over decorations, though we still did a lot of planning and working together.

But so today, the title--good and weary. As it's the day before the conference, we had to get the place ready. So I've been back and forth between my apartment and the Visual Arts Center (VAC) where the conference will be, three or four times today, and then finally settling in to decorate for about, well, probably two and half hours, I guess. Counting the back and forth and the waiting for people, though, I was busy with it for a little over four hours.

But it was good and fun! I'm not complaining at all. My body is very tired and sore in a few places, probably from laying the construction paper feet to mark the path, and then the other stuff, walking around on an uncushioned cement floor.

The body needs those weary moments, though. I loved the decorating part, seeing things come together. I think it really does look good in there. I'll post some pictures.

And I was so glad for all of my helpers, most of whom had lots of better ideas for things than I did. I was glad for their initiative and willingness to be there. What great people! I wish I'd taken pictures of all of them working--just got a few.

And now I'm ready to write again!

No comments: