21 July 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

Can you believe it? Probably. It happens to everyone. Okay, maybe not everyone. But I'm glad not to be among those it doesn't happen to--turning 35, entering the new age category.

I'm not sure how this age category is qualified, but it does tend to happen that you see forms where 35 marks as you as older than those 20-to-young 30-somethings. Not long ago 35 would have been middle age, when life expectancy was only 70. It really isn't that much older now, but for some reason, and fortunately so, that middle age nomen tends to refer to older folks than I. In any case, I am inching closer to the top of that hill.

So how do I feel? Well, my back really hurts today. I think it's from lifting this incredibly heavy museum case for the student publications on Friday. But otherwise, not too bad. Tired too. That's a perpetual case, all summer at Hollins. But you mean the feelings, like, don't you? Like am I feeling old and decrepit? Sad? Forgotten? No, I'm okay there. I feel actually pretty happy today.

Later I'll go do dinner and have cake with a few friends, which is nice. But it's been interesting to ponder because I haven't lived on campus the past three years and so haven't been as close to the students, in both ways. But when I was putting together a list of friends to ask to join me, which was also a notch up in the bravery on my part--I've never thrown my own birthday party--I found it hard to parse down to a non-overwhelming number. So many good people and friends here.

I've had friends do things with me and for me the past three years, and I'm so glad for them! But a couple times it's been very last minute, so I've tended toward celebrating by myself earlier in the day. And, oddly, I suppose I kind of miss those self-indulgent days--allowing myself to buy whichever piece of cake I want at the grocery store. I suppose I could still do that. But really, I think I much prefer this having friends around thing.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Happy Birthday:) I hope you have a great one!